Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My Tiger Cub

Today my husband took my son to the Boy Scout Council to sign him up for his first year of Cub Scouts. He got his little Tiger Cub Handbook. I am just so excited for him. I really love scouting, I must admit - for both of my kids. I just wish I had more time to do all the different things with them. I think I live vicariously through them because when I hear about all the cool activities available, I just want to tag along! (Luckily, that's usually an option.)

I'm already thinking that I need to mark a few of the optional summer activities on our calendar. One of them is a trip to the UT Tower. I've never been there. I guess it's only opened back up since I've moved to Austin. I think he might also get a chance to go see a Longhorn football practice and meet Mack Brown.

Which brings me to another topic. There is no way for me to avoid my kids being surrogate Longhorns with us living in Austin. That was the one thing I'd hoped I could avoid when we moved here but I realize it's pretty much pointless to wish for that. When UT was about to play in the Rose Bowl, my daughter begged me to get her a UT Rose Bowl t-shirt to wear to school because her whole class was going to be wearing them. How could I refuse? Obviously...I couldn't. So I had to call my dad (loyal Baylor Bear that he is) and apologize for providing a UT shirt to his eldest grandchild.

Luckily, my dad is a very forgiving kind of guy. Now...if she actually GOES there......that might be another story.

If she's smart, however, she'll leave her hometown to attend college. I'm a big believer in that. Maybe she'll travel abroad for college - something I really wish I'd done. (I believe I've already mentioned my tendency to live vicariously through my children....?)

No comments: