Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Blog and Tweet Ponderings

I've been somewhat lax in my blog discipline lately, and because certain confessions are an aspect of this laxness - what better place to confess than on my blog? (i.e. - my own personal confessional)

The truth is that I've really been wondering if I should keep up this blog. I get a lot out of it personally - it's very therapeutic....but I am, by my nature, a transitory kind of girl. I rarely stay with one thing very long. (My ADHD book claims that I'm supposed to embrace that aspect of my personality, by the way - not fight against it.)

That's not the only reason I'm wondering if I should keep this up. The other reason is that I envision someday having a professional blog and I've thought that if I ever do start a professional blog, then this one will almost certainly go out the window. Of course, I've imagined starting that blog once I finally get my dream job at a non-profit...I thought maybe I could blog about my search efforts, interviews, etc. Then I could write about my first year as a new ED at a non-profit.

Of course, that depends upon a couple of factors:
1. I need to get my dream job
2. Even at that point, it might not be realistic for me to blog, depending on the nature of the board and where I end up.

So it's really just a thought.

I'd pretty much given up on this blog (not 100%, but approximately 87%) when I suddenly received a few emails from you guys - commenting on certain posts. Hmmmm......so I'm not going to throw in the towel just yet.

Oh, yes. I almost forgot about the "tweet" aspect of this posting. I recently joined Twitter (I know I'm a bit behind the curb on this one) simply because some of the non-profits I like to follow are tweeting now. I had to set up an account - so my first and ONLY tweet was something like "Trying to figure out if this Twitter thing is worth it." That's it - posted probably 3-4 weeks ago .

But here's the bizarre thing....3 or 4 people started following me out of the blue. I have no idea who these people are (whom these people are????), although they are following tons of others. So I assume that they follow lots of people in hopes that someone will start following them. (I could be entirely incorrect in my assumption, since I haven't gone back to my Twitter account in weeks and anyone who is depending upon my tweets for their entertainment is almost certain to be profoundly disappointed.) At any rate....if I was going to cancel anything, maybe it should be Twitter.....

But all of that raises a bigger and more philosophical question for me. Should I officially cancel things or should I just ignore them until they go away? In all honesty, I have to say that I am emotionally and spiritually opposed to the idea of ignoring things, issues and people. (This could have a personal element to it, since my first boyfriend ignored me on a church trip until my best friend confronted him. At that point he told her I would "get the point" and she told him he ought to be a man and break up with me if that's what he wanted to do. So he did. It sucked big time, but was still better than being ignored.) In short, I'm all about broadcasting who I am and what I believe.

Which brings us full circle to why I started this blog adventure in the first place.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Personally, I don't think it has to be an all or nothing thing. I go through spurts where I blog more often than others. I like reading your blog, even if you only write every once in a while. I have been very lax in my writing too, mostly b/c the things I most want to rant about my job, I can't on the internet. But it's still a great outlet, and you should keep it around, just in case.