Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Lincoln

It's the strangest thing. I'm becoming very attached to President Abraham Lincoln as I read Team of Rivals. I owe that to two factors - for one thing, it's a very well-written book. It really draws you into the story. The second factor (and this is probably one of the big reasons I like the book) is that it turns out that good ol' Abe and I share quite a few characteristics. (If one is to believe this particular narrative, that is.)

According to this book, President Lincoln was incredibly sensitive and empathetic. As a matter of fact, it could be a hindrance for him, but he learned to use his insight to become a keen observer of everyone - including his rivals/enemies. Some of the stories about his sensitivity really rang true for me.

Maybe I'm just thinking too highly of myself by comparing myself to an American legend, but it's truly unusual for me to relate to a historical male character - so the similarities have really surprised me.

No comments: