Sunday, June 7, 2009

Maybe...

I took my family to see Annie today - live on stage. When I was 10 or 11, the movie came out and I adored it. I sang the entire album constantly. At the top of my lungs. From my bedroom.

I'm sure I still have every single word, pause, and musical nuance memorized. So...I was suprised to learn that the stage play has a bunch of songs that the movie didn't have and vice versa. Very interesting. The play had a bunch of political-esque things that were left out of the movie. (i.e. - the Hooverville shanty town, FDR's brain trust talking/singing about the New Deal, etc.)

It was great, though. And I cried everytime Annie sang "Maybe." I'd forgotten how much musicals and melancholy songs meant to me as I grew up. Truth be told - I can't imagine how I could have forgotten that, since they still affect me in the same manner.

No comments: