Monday, June 8, 2009

Me and my medical news....

It's always a good news/bad news situation when I go to the doctor. Is it that way for everyone? It seems I go in there expecting one thing and get hit with another. It's very disorienting.

The good news is that my thyroid seems ok. The bad news is that my iron and B12 most assuredly are NOT. Oh - and my stress hormones are way out of whack on the high side, but as I told one of my friends today - it's not as if I needed a blood test to tell me that.

So now I have to go see a hematologist (it's kind of a pain when one doctor can't just take care of all your stuff....) so that she can get my anemia and B12 back in line. Possibly with injections. Which sounds like just a thrill a minute.

I don't want to believe that this is caused by my (former) vegetarian diet. It's too early to know for sure and - truth be told - none of the websites I read today (and I read quite a few) seemed to indicate that my diet was the main culprit. I wasn't a vegan so I had some animal products in my diet all the time (milk, eggs...). Who knows. Whatever the reason, I appear to have run out of iron and B12. So I suppose I need to get some.

In the meantime....I am officially no longer a vegetarian. Sort of a sad admission for me but it is for the best. And I must (grudgingly) admit that it's cool to have more than 2 choices on a menu.

No comments: