Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Joy of Assistants

I have been so lucky to be surrounded by the best assistants on Earth throughout my career. I'm not sure how I got this lucky but I ain't complainin'. I'm thinking about it today because I went to my old place of work at lunch for a pre-wedding celebration (a.k.a. wedding shower for those of us who don't care about making men attend things like "showers") for my former assistant. Then, when I got back to my current job, there was an IM on my computer screen from my current assistant who told me to ping her when I got back to my desk. She came over and had a present for me - here's the picture of it. She went to Bath & Body Works at lunch and bought me some "Instant Comfort Aromatherapy" - smells like vanilla. It's so nice! I'm keeping it right on my (messy) desk.

As I continue to pursue my dreams as much as I can, I'm inspired by one of my best friends (who was also my assistant at my last job ,before she deserted me to go on to bigger and better things) because she is now a successful photographer, following her passion. I want to be just like her when I grow up. Only not with photography. Because that's not my artistic skill.

Anyway - all of these women have totally put up with my stunning messiness, my scattered-ness, and my occassional flakiness (I hate to admit it but it is true). They consistently are patient with me and take care of my details. I don't know why they were willing to do that with such good spirit but I'm so glad that they were. Plus they seem to think I'm smart (which you wouldn't expect when you see my desk....) All of them have become my friends.

Thank goodness I'm in a profession with assistants because I don't know what I'd do without one. I'd probably have to go all Carrie Bradshaw and hire someone to just generally assist me.

No comments: