Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Reluctant Runner

I wanted to start a new blog entitled "The Reluctant Runner" to track my efforts to learn how to run (or, rather - jog while gasping desperately for breath...) BUT that name was already taken. I was stuck on "Reluctant Runner," so instead of a new running-related blog, I decided to blog-i-fy it here and track my efforts to follow "The Couch-to-5K Running Plan" on Two Steps.

My theory is that if I keep a side-bar going about my progress (like I do with books and movies) then I'll be more accountable. We'll see how that works, shall we?

For those of you who know me well, you know that I simply HATE running. I mean...I really, really hate it. Or at least, I always have in the past. For a few months, however, I have not been able to let go of the idea that I need to do this. It COULD be because I have a thing for pushing myself to the breaking point - but I have to believe that it's not ALL based on self-destructive tendencies.

I really am drawn to trying this. My first teeny-tiny attempt this morning was miserable during the middle of it but I've been on such an incredible rush for the rest of the day that I actually understand why some people get addicted to running. It is TOTALLY weird.

So anyway - I don't want to give up on this and it would be in my nature to give up because running is not an inherent talent of mine. (That's the disadvantage of perfectionism...when you're bad at something, you don't even want to try it.)

Plus...I need to get moving because my goal is to run a 1/2 marathon at Disney World for my 40th birthday. Although that's still 2 1/2 years away, I will need every one of those 800 or so days to get ready.

No comments: