Thursday, May 28, 2009

Excited About Setting Myself Up For Frustration

I wanted to title this post: "Excited about setting myself up for failure" but that seemed a bit too negative. So, here's the story, in oh-so-convenient bullet point format:

* I am visiting with two non-profit boards to find a good match. I really want to be on a board. Right now I'm fighting down my tendency to say yes to both of them because even I realize that would be insane.
* I am doing other major career-type things because I'm very energized about the idea of someday leading a non-profit as its Executive Director. So I'm trying to grow, learn, etc. To that end, I've recently joined an awesome professional organization for women and volunteered to serve on their public relations committee.
* I'm also going to my first "glass fusing" class tonight. A friend at work (who's very busy but single with no kids, so probably not someone whose schedule I should attempt to emulate) highly recommended it and I decided it was a great idea because an art class would probably be therapeutic for me. Of course, I have no idea what "glass fusing" is - I just know that the stuff she made looks cool.

I'm very excited about all of these new things in my life. And yet, quite inconveniently, there are still only 24 hours in the day. And all of my "old" things haven't gone anywhere. Which led me to fall apart last night, going on and on and on to my (very patient but confused) husband about how I can't get a handle on anything such as organizing my closet, or my kids' rooms, or even just remembering to get them out the door with the correct items in the morning. That, in turn, led him to pat my arm until I fell asleep. But the problem with that was that I then forgot to sneak his anniversary card into the bathroom as a surprise for him when he woke up. (It's 19 years of dating for us today....I know. I'm not actually all that old - we started dating when I was 18. Seriously.)

So the cycle continues.

I'm reading ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life. One of the key suggestions is to be strict with yourself and not put anything new in your life (or your closet) without first finishing or removing something old. I underlined that sentence because it (theoretically) seemed like a really good idea.

But at this point I think the only "old" thing that's leaving my life is any semblance of sanity I used to have.

No comments: