Friday, May 8, 2009

My Daughter's Non-Date



My daughter is only 10. She is, obviously, too young to "date." She is NOT, however, too young for me to take her and one of her best friends (who happens to be a boy she's known since Kindergarten) to a movie.

Nor is she too young for me to sit in the row behind them.

He bought her popcorn and candy with the money his mom sent (since I had bought the tickets for them already).

Her buddy is one of the sweetest, kindest, most gentlemanly young men I've ever met. They are also two peas in a pod and always have been. During our ride back to his house, the two of them discussed ADHD at length (since they both have it). It was so much fun to be an observer of two 10-year-olds who are great friends, but are starting to realize that they might be mini-soulmates. (Not that they'd use that word....but they just "click" and it's really sweet to see that click-a-bility before the cynicism of the teen years hits.)

I hope she is always drawn to the sweet guys. Like me, she might make one or two mistakes - but with any luck she'll end up with an honorable one in the final act.

No comments: