Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Today

Today is, IMHO, deserving of a "lunch break posting." Luckily I found a legitimate way to watch the inauguration this morning, even though my new workplace was not as considerate as my old workplace...there were no TVs set up to watch the historic moment. Thank all that is good and holy that I had:
1. an Air Card which lets me stream video without being a drain on the work network,
2. a husband who reminded me of this fact, and
3. a good connection with very few blips or breaks in the action (what a relief THAT was).

It's funny what I keep thinking about - that we now have our first Gen-X President and that it can be really tricky to be there for your kids and help them settle into a new situation when you're starting a new job (and both of the Obamas are beginning jobs that are MUCH more stressful than I could ever imagine). Most of all, however, I've found myself thinking more and more about what I want to accomplish with the rest of my life. It's almost a process of distilling my dreams down to their essence. I'm not sure whether it's inspired by the inauguration (at least in part) or if it's simply a by-product of middle age, but I feel as if I'm almost ready to understand my ultimate goals. The understanding is right there - I can just about taste it.

The question at that point (of course) is: what will I do with my goals once I know what they are? Scott Adams (the creater of Dilbert) is a big believer in writing your goal 15 times a day as an affirmation. He doesn't believe in anything supernatural (or even in God, for that matter) but he's seen it make a difference repeatedly in his own life. Probably because it opens your mind to see opportunities where you might not have seen them before.

I think I'm going to give it a shot. If nothing else - it wouldn't hurt me to write something positive 15 times a day, in which I'm visualizing myself succeeding at my dreams.

No comments: