Friday, January 2, 2009

Life Lessons at the Regal Gateway 16

My 9 year old daughter wanted to see Marley and Me and my 5 year old son had no interest, so we had a girls' night out at the movies this evening. The long and short of it is that it wasn't the completely silly movie that we were expecting, although it was very, very touching and I was exceedingly glad that I had a few Kleenex in my purse.

I'll try not to spoil the movie for any of you, but during the drive home from the theater, our conversation centered around loss and pain, and why we face that in our lives. I told her: "I think the whole point of life is to have our hearts broken." (Hold on....I know what your reaction is - it's probably what her reaction was: "WHAT???") I like to believe that I became more eloquent somewhere between the Capitol of Texas Highway and Braker Lane, however...

I explained that you could go through life never loving anyone (or any animal) and then you'd never feel loss. But you'd also never feel life. I told her that she would face pain - that one day she'd have a boyfriend and they'd break up. And when that happened she'd feel like the whole world was ending - and in fact, in that moment, it kind of would be ending. But she'd realize that all those people (and animals) who came in and out of her life gave her joy -and made her life what it was....

So - anyway - if your heart never breaks, you've never lived.

Then we both went home and held our dog and I cried like a baby for about 20 minutes. (She patted me on the back and told me everything was going to be ok.) Oh...and my son wisely told my husband that he better not see that movie because "it's a mind twister."

1 comment:

Renee said...

BEST RECK FAMILY MOMENT EVAH for me! You guys rock!