Saturday, January 24, 2009

I Believe in Valentine's Day

It's that time of year when you see pink and red hearts everywhere. That means it's that time of year when I just have to smile at myself because I'm just like a kid when it comes to this season. I LOVE IT. I love everything about it - the cheesy cards, the boxes of chocolate (even though I don't eat sugar), the red hearts, the pink bows and the lace doilies (oh, those lace doilies...I adore them). I know, guys. You think I'm being facetious - but I'm not. It's absolutely true, albeit bizarre.

Even when I was in Jr. High, I already had friends who rolled their eyes at the holiday and were well on their way to 30-something cynicism when it came to St. Valentine's Day. It amuses me to no end that the older I get, the more I seem to love it. Each year I get all hopeful about Valentine's Day - I get very caught up in it. I'm honestly not sure at all what I'm expecting from it - I just think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It reminds me a lot of the way I tend to watch movies when I already know the ending. I still think that maybe THIS TIME it will end differently. ("I know I've seen Gone With the Wind twenty times but I bet this time Rhett will stay with Scarlett. Oh no!!! He's walking away again! Rhett - go back to her! She loves you!!")

So - the way some people believe in Santa Claus (ok, I guess that's me too...but that's a subject for a different post....), I believe in Valentine's Day. The day I stop believing in it will be the day I'm no longer Jenn.

No comments: