Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Hamster Friends


We'd promised the kids hamsters, and the week after Christmas we kept our promise so I decided to share pics of one of them with my faithful readers. This is either Junie or Kate, although my money would be on Junie since she seems to be the one who is much more mellow (so I'm guessing she's the one who let me pick her up)...

I can't imagine how scary it must be for these little critters to be surrounded by big creatures who want to hold them and talk baby-talk to them. Geeeeezzzz....talk about creepy....

But they seem to be holding up with reasonably good spirits. I offered them a piece of apple earlier today but they didn't seem the least bit interested. I'll need to Wikipedia "hamster treats" to see what they might like.

Here's another cute one of my new baby (zoom in on the picture below to see her adorable little face)....I wonder if they'd keep me from having bad dreams if I let them sleep in my bedroom with me? My dog hasn't helped so far...but maybe I'm putting my faith in the wrong species.

3 comments:

Renee said...

Excellent!!!! I'm so happy for you guys! Definitely try peeled green apples, carrots and lettuce. How excited the kids must be! Good job, Mom!

JennInAustin said...

LOL! I'll try those foods for sure!

Doctoman said...

love hampsters! Lee bought me one in college so I would have a roomat (he did not like me living alone.) Mogley lived 4 yrs that is a LONg time for these guys. Anyways He was stuborn and persnickety and ran around all night in his cage, but I loved him. Oh and BTW dropping them can cause them to paralize for a short time! My brother in law used to put him in a remote car and chase the cat around, I am suprised Mogley lived for four years!