Friday, January 29, 2010

The Truth Will Set You Free

My mom constantly used this saying as I was growing up and it always seemed to sum up the solution to problems for us. It is certainly the case that when I come back to being true to myself, things are much better for me.

That must be life's biggest temptation, don't you think? The temptation to accept another person's truth as your own? For me it's been the temptation to buy into the idea that success has to do with money or things. At the ripe old age of 38, I finally accept the fact that for some people - outer success with things really is the definition of success. Some people find a lot more joy in life when they have a powerful job that gives them a great income and makes others look at them and go....wow. And there's NOTHING WRONG with that being their definition of success. (It took me a long time to accept the fact that not everyone is supposed to think like me - but I really do accept it now.)

The problem comes when I try to fit into that world. It totally does not work. I know you guys have heard me blab on about it before but it bears repeating - if for no other reason than to remind myself that I need to stay on the right track and not lose my focus.

I know what the truth is for me. I know (or at least strongly suspect) what will bring me happiness. Even if no one else around me gets it - that's not a sign that I'm wrong - it just means that I was made a little bit differently. To be specific, I was created as an ENFP and, for better or worse, that's what I've got to work with. (And that's what my family has to work with as well - much to their chagrin if they are relying upon me for any significant cleaning or organizing.)

So, I think that for the next few days I'm committing that right before I fall asleep and as soon as I wake up each day, I will remind myself that I don't need to change for anyone. I just need to stay on my own track and not get pulled to the side or slowed down in a misguided attempt to make someone else happy.

I'm sure those of you who know me well will say: "Good luck with that one."

But, remember - I'm older now. And much wiser. Just you wait and see.

No comments: