Saturday, January 9, 2010

An Opportunity to be Positive

I have been given a unique opportunity to be positive. You see, this past week I began a 5:30 a.m. bootcamp class. I was really pushing myself and determined to get into good shape. I honestly have gained some weight over the last month or so and wanted to really get a new focus on my life. I was feeling pretty darn good about myself and even got a family membership at the Y so that I'd have a good exercise plan when the bootcamp ended in a few weeks.

I went to the pre-break-of-dawn bootcamp from Monday through Thursday and decided I'd hit the Saturday class as well. It was about 20 degrees so I bundled up. Luckily, it wasn't windy so it all went very well. It went well until I broke my ankle, that is.  Yes, I have returned to a cast although this time it's a much more serious one. It's a plaster cast, complete with the crutches - not a walking one like last time.

(In case you're wondering - people keep asking me about this - I'm not entirely sure what happened. All I know is that I was doing a running drill out on the football field when I slipped and felt a crack happen in my foot. As I curled into a fetal position, I figured that feeling (and hearing) a crack probably wasn't a good sign. Indeed, it wasn't.)

I've noticed that the pain level makes that stress fracture feel like a walk in the park - so I suppose everything's relative. Lying in the ER, as the Vicodin kicked in and the tech wrapped my leg in a cast, I felt my mind go towards all the things that seem awful about this situation. (i.e. - paying $200 for a month of bootcamp then having this happen at the end of the first week, feeling even more un-stylish at work over the next month or more  - and having fewer items to wear, feeling like a complete uncoordinated klutz and being horrified at being the one to trip during class). Then I stopped myself and refused to let my mind go there. I had to stop myself over and over and over because it's a bit of a crummy situation - my mind just naturally wanted to scream about how unfair/scary/upsetting/pick-some-other-negative-adjective it all was.

Finally I just accepted that I will learn from this and that good things would come from this experience - even though I have NO IDEA how the good things will play out in the end. Stay tuned and I'll keep you posted about what I learn throughout the next few months. For example, I've already learned today that they still use plaster casts sometimes. Who knew?

No comments: