Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Stratego with Little General Patton



It's Thanksgiving Day and since the older girls were getting quite annoyed with the Kindergarten kid brother, I figured I needed to find something for us to do. As we walked into the living room, he pointed at Stratego and said: "That would make me happy." So we sat down and played a round.

I had totally forgotten about this game! But once I saw all the little pieces, I remembered playing it for hours as a kid, although for the life of me, I can't remember who my playing partner was. Maybe my own kid brother? My little boy had to remind me of all the rules. For games like chess, Stratego, etc. - he pretty much only has to hear the rules once and he has them down. As I was setting up my pieces, he advised me to surround my flag with bombs for protection. I can recognize good advice from an Army Guy when I hear it, so I did it. For the rest of my pieces, I just sort of stuck them wherever and ended up having my front lines completely decimated because I'd put a bunch of low numbers on the first two rows. As my son wiped me out, he just shook his head at me and said: "Mom, why did you put all your low numbers up front?" I laughed and told him I didn't know. (Note to self: I probably would not be very successful as a military strategist. So I'll take that career option off of my list.)

Right now, what I'm most thankful for is that I can laugh with my children and that this morning I was able to just hang out with my boy. I hope that all of you have a Thanksgiving Day which is full of smiles, laughter, and even some good-natured teasing.

No comments: