Sunday, November 16, 2008

Good Karma

I honestly should appreciate my karma more often than I do. All things considered, my karma should be - well....crap. (Sorry for the semi-potty language in my blog but "crap karma" was such great alliteration that I couldn't pass it up.) But for some bizarre reason, I've got good karma. Go figure.

Today I called the WDW Advance Dining Reservation line and, by some wild miracle, was able to get ALL of the dining and entertainment reservations I wanted. Now...I'll qualify that by pointing out that I did not try for a "princess breakfast" (darn it all....maybe I could just go by myself) but I was able to get a pretty late seating at the California Grill at the top of the Contemporary so we could watch the fireworks one night. And that's not half bad.

Anyway - back to my karma.

As mentioned above, the WDW stuff fell into place. It is also worth noting that all my Christmas presents are simply happening with very little effort on my part and the weather FINALLY turned cold. The Irish girl in me is cynically waiting for the other shoe to drop. ('Ok, I know the redcoats are just around the corner...stop teasing me with all this good luck....")

The Buddhist philosophy (in my very limited understanding of it) is to just accept good or bad as it comes and not allow outside events to control how you feel. (A HECK of a lot easier said than done, I'd like to point out.) In other words, even if all sorts of great stuff is happening, one should not allow one's happiness to be dependent upon those things because everything in life is transitory. (That sounds depressing but it goes the other way too - you shouldn't get bummed when bad stuff happens because things always change.)

The funny thing is, I'm honestly not sure what to feel about all my blessings. And I'm not just talking about the current, "light" blessings like Disney World reservations - I'm also a bit perplexed about my "deep" blessings - like my family, my education, and my career. Although some work on my part was required, for the most part, I am blessed because I was born into a family that gave me everything and more than I could ever need. This completely throws me. I feel like I'm holding a priceless crystal vase and I have no idea what to do with it. I don't want to leave it on a shelf to get dusty but I'm scared to death of shattering it because of my careless way of handling things.

So the question remains...what am I supposed to do with these beautiful blessings? And is it really ok for me enjoy them when deep down - I don't believe I deserve them? I know the philosophically-correct answers to these questions but knowing something and incorporating it into my life are two totally different things.

No comments: