Sunday, November 2, 2008

Pink and Me



My morning centered around the Susan Komen Race for the Cure, followed by a VERY fattening TexMex lunch, complete with a (rather potent) frozen margarita. Now...that's my idea of supporting a cause. I am now inspired to write about pink. When I was a little girl, it was a point of pride for me to dislike pink. In my mind (and, to be fair, in reality) it was only the "girly girls" who liked pink during the 70's. Lots of my friends insisted that their favorite color was pink, but all of those girls were the same ones who acted all silly about boys...so - what EV er. That was SO not for me.....


Today, however, pink seems to mean something else. As a matter of fact, if you go shopping for boxing paraphernalia (as I did a few years ago when I was in karate) you will find plenty of pink boxing gloves, helmets, etc. Now - I could be wrong - but I'm pretty darn sure that you didn't find pink boxing stuff around when I was a kid.


This morning, there was (of course) tons of pink simply everywhere. As a matter of fact, I saw a very large dog that had been spray-painted hot pink. By a GUY, apparently. Speaking of guys, I saw a plethora of guys in pink shirts, walking and running for the cure. Gotta love those Austin men.


For me, pink now represents the idea that it's a lot of fun being a girl or a woman, that we don't have to match men exactly (in terms of work or life generally), but that you still better not screw around with us because we are a lot tougher than you might at first expect.


So, think pink. And while you're doing that, I'll be napping because I am feeling that margarita.

No comments: