Saturday, October 25, 2008

1, 2, 3, 4...I declare a thumb war!!




Do you remember doing this? I'm curious how long kids have played this game. (Heck, my husband and I have been known to do this at the dinner table...obviously it's not JUST a kids thing...and I'd like the record to reflect that it is the ONLY thing at which I can consistently kick his butt.) There are so many things that I always assumed were "70's" things - that my generation invented - which I've found out were around long before I was. Each generation is convinced that they have an exclusive experience...but the perspective of age teaches me that it just ain't so.




I'm contemplating generational issues because I am hanging in Frisco, Texas with my daughter, my niece, my sister-in-law (a.k.a. the woman who introduced me to the Twilight Addiction - er....I mean the Twilight Series), and my mom. We spent most of the day teasing mom about her joke-threats that she used as my brother and I found ever more creative ways to try her patience. I told her that I felt a blog post coming on about those threats....(this isn't quite it, in case you're wondering - you'll have to wait for some other evening's post to hear about how she regularly told us she'd "Yank us bald-headed" and "Knock us into next week")...and in the meantime, I'm getting less and less patient with my own daughter as her hyperactivity level increases (yes, E, I know very well that she gets it from me...) and she keeps talking about the injustice of the fact that she hasn't saved as much money as her cousin for when we go to the American Girl Doll store. Argh!!! I suddenly had a lot more respect for my mom and her joke-threats because I must say that mine today probably sounded A LOT more serious at certain times.




Sorry - I got all distracted with judgmental mother-angst there - what was I talking about? Oh, yeah...the wisdom that comes with age. So much for that one.


Anyway - the picture above is of my eldest and her cousin as they "thumb-warred" away during lunch. As I watched them, I had vague visions of a very meaningful post about intergenerational issues and decided to take this picture for illustrative purposes. Well....at least you got the picture, even if I was a bit too tired and Gen-X-ish tonight to be comtemplative. Somehow, all I can think about right now is the long drive back home on I-35 tomorrow.




No comments: