Monday, August 31, 2009

Don't Wait for the Feelings

If there's one thing that John Bradshaw seemed to harp upon in his book that I just finished, it's that one should not wait for certain feelings before taking action. Seems rather obvious, doesn't it? As a matter of fact, I essentially say the same thing to my kids on a regular basis.

I don't, however, follow that advice for myself.

I realized, as I was driving to a career counselor today after work, that I have a bad habit of avoiding certain actions because "I don't feel like doing them." This happens in my personal life and my professional life.

Few things (maybe NOTHING) in life are both worthwhile and easy to obtain. You'd think I'd have learned this fact by the time I was a few weeks away from my 38th birthday. Well....I'm eventually getting it. Bit by bit.

So the next time you see me, be sure to ask me if I've done something that I don't want to do - because otherwise I'm not making progress!

No comments: