Saturday, February 20, 2010

What I Learned from Figure Skating

Not how to be graceful and lovely. Obviously.

But what I did learn is how to get up off my butt and keep going, even if a medal is no longer in the cards for me. As discouraging as it might be for me to try for something over and over without getting where I want to be, I have to admit that's NOTHING compared to how it must feel to fall in front of millions of people while pursuing an Olympic dream.

Seriously. That's totally intense.

When I was younger (I'm ashamed to admit this) - I used to wonder why those people kept going after falling down. What's the point, right? I mean - there's no way they'll be on the podium to get Gold, Silver or even Bronze.

Life experience has (finally) taught me that it's not about winning. It's about not giving up and not being ashamed. There's no one who illustrates this better than the figure skater who throws everything he or she has into a jump and then ends up skidding across the ice in an undignified posture in front of the whole world.

I tell you one thing. If they can keep going then so can I.

No comments: