Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cooler Than I Thought

We're at my parents' house for Easter and my husband started scanning old pictures - thank goodness because they're all in those nasty sticky photo albums from the 70's.

We saw this sweet picture of me and I figured that my mom had made the outfit - because she was quite the amazing homemaker. I was right about that fact. She'd made the hat and bonnet. What I didn't know, until my parents told me during the slideshow, was that this picture was taken at one of the very first Kerrville Folk Festivals. How freakin' cool is that?

The very first one, according to Wikipedia, was in 1972. I'm guessing this must have been the second festival - in 1973 - because I'm walking and it looks like I'm about 2 years old - not 9 months old. I have always wanted to go to the Kerrville Folk Festival...but I didn't realize that I'd already been! Looks like I'm having a heck of a time, too. My dad said: "See, Jenn? I told you we were hippies! We took you to a folk music festival." Well, I knew I was raised by hippies. And as I told him, I'm glad I was. Makes me wonder what famous singer I may have heard that day. I tried to find a program from '73 online but had no luck in the six minutes I was willing to dedicate to that project.

If any of you were there and remember the headliners, be sure to let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're cooler than you thought:

The response to the first festival created the opportunity to expand the festival
to five days, May 24-28, and increased the ranks of main stage artists from 12 to
21 including 10 of the first year’s stars, among them Peter Yarrow, Allen Damron,
Carolyn Hester, Michael Murphey, Mance Lipscomb (who because of illness was
replaced by Bobby Bridger), Bill and Bonnie Hearne, and Kenneth Threadgill.
Among the newcomers in 1973 were Willie Nelson, B.W. Stevenson, Townes
Van Zandt and Jerry Jeff Walker as well as barrel house pianist Robert Shaw.
The New Folk entries totaled 54 and included Courtney Campbell, Bill Oliver and
“Plum Nelly”, a duo of Jerry Jo Jones and Bill Stoner, which in later years,
expanded to four artists. Again Peter was the reassuring and loving host of the
concerts and rekindled the same ambience for the 5600 fans attending the five
days of the 1973 event.