Sunday, July 15, 2012

Other Writers

I've recently finished reading two great books. One of them, Perfect Madness, is a non-fiction book with the subtitle "Motherhood in the Age of Anxiety." The subtitle sums it up pretty well. If you are a mom, or even if you're not a mom but you're trying to make your way in our way-too-competitive and un-supportive world, I highly recommend the read. I finished the book somewhat discouraged about our society but recommitted that what I want for my family (in case you're curious what I want, it's essentially to love and be loved; to support and be supported; and to instill a sense of respect for all other humans).

The next book is a new fiction book which is honestly one of the best books I've ever read. Wool, by Hugh Howey, is stunning. Mr. Howey is an Indie author whose self-published book is now (quite deservedly) a sensation. One of the first things that stood out to me is how very, very well it's written. Let me just say that I notice every little grammatical or typographical mistake when I read books - I find them distracting and they are everywhere (even my own writing, I'm sure). The mistakes jump out at me in traditionally published books (some are actually pretty bad, I'm not sure where some of these publishing houses get their proofreaders) and I certainly notice mistakes in self-published works. But I didn't notice ANY mistakes in Wool. Wow.

Now, before you begin to think that I'm picky on purpose or that I have fun picking apart other people's work - you should know that I'd prefer not to notice those details. I can't seem to help it. And I'm under no delusion that my self-published book would be much better than anyone else's book. I'm just saying that's the way it is.

Of course, no story is worth reading ONLY because of flawless grammar and structure. Wool is golden because the story is incredible. Within a few pages, you are completely attached to the characters and the story comes alive. For me, it's just plain inspiring to see someone who worked hard, created an incredible story, and is now successful enough to support himself as a writer. Wow!

I used to read good books and get jealous, or think about what those people have that I don't have. Maybe I'm finally more mature, but for the first time I'm really celebrating the fact that there are other writers who live the dream. Someday that will be me.

1 comment:

Megan Willome said...

Excellent review! I just bought it for my Kindle, but I won't be able to start it until next month. I'll let you know then. Thanks!