Friday, June 4, 2010

Defying Gravity

Tomorrow I get to hear one of my all-time favorite songs live and in person. I'll be in Dallas with my daughter, eagerly taking in the brilliance of Wicked. This is her birthday present (although she turned 11 back at the end of April), which I'd been planning since before Christmas - quite a long time!

The more I think about it, Wicked really is a pretty good show for a pre-teen girl to watch since it's all about a couple of girls who are struggling with their own versions of insecurity. The musical isn't nearly as dark as the novel - which is probably good because if it was the street vendors in NYC would have to sell anti-depressants on the corner outside the Gershwin theater. That might diminish the glitter of Broadway. Not that I'd know since I've never actually BEEN there.

But...I digress.

If you've never heard the song "Defying Gravity," then you really are missing out on one of the more inspirational anthems from Broadway musicals. In my opinion, it ranks right up there with "Do You Hear the People Sing?" (Les Miserables) in terms of inspiring an idealistic young woman to action.

Granted, they inspire slightly different activities. I'm not offered very many opportunities to join a plebian revolution against the bourgeoisie (although I adore baguettes and still think building a barricade in the middle of the street would totally rock) so "Defying Gravity" is rather more relevant to my current life.

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game.

Too late for second guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes...and leap!

It's time to try defying gravity
I think I'll try defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!

I'm through accepting limits
'Cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But 'til I try I'll never know!
Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love, I guess I've lost.

Well if that's love - it comes at much too high a cost!

....and on it goes. Although this song is the perfect segue into my new life, I'll be doing my best not to sing along at the top of my lungs. I can only assume such a display would embarrass my daughter (well, maybe not - she might understand but I'd better not risk embarrassing my sister-in-law, mother-in-law and niece).

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately...
Everyone deserves a chance to fly!

And if I'm flying solo
At least I'm flying free!
To those who'd ground me
Take a message back from me....

Tell them how I'm defying gravity
I'm flying high, defying gravity!
And soon I'll match them in renown.

And nobody in all of Oz
No wizard that there is or was
Is ever gonna bring me down!

No comments: