Tuesday, March 2, 2010

You're So Vain

...you probably think this blog is about you.

Carly Simon has been spinning in my head all evening, ever since I heard an NPR story about how she recently re-released her song with a hint about the vain guy's identity whispered over the track. The NPR reporter claimed that she whispered "David" and I'll take her word for it because I couldn't tell. Of course, I've never been good at hearing secret lyrics in music - regardless of whether they are played backwards or forwards.

I am so impressed with her ability to not only write and sing a popular song, but also to keep the mystery interesting for nigh on 40 years. Talk about keeping a personal brand alive.

Lots of professional publications and coaches encourage you to figure out and develop a "personal brand." And I've even recently had lunch with someone who is FABULOUS at developing her brand. She's very aware of who she is, what she represents, and seeks out opportunities to publicize herself. Again...it's very impressive.

I have never had a clue where to begin in that regard. I used to think that it was because I wasn't...well....vain. But now I'm pretty sure that it's because I'm still figuring Jenn out. In theory, once I've got myself figured out, I might actually join the whole "personal brand" bandwagon.

In the meantime, I'll admire other personal brands from afar as I sing along with Carly Simon during my drive home.

No comments: