Thursday, March 25, 2010

Why Texas is more than worth it...

Take a look at these pictures. I haven't had a chance to really explore the wildflowers in the country yet (because our weekends are packed with kid activities) but at least I'm enjoying them during my interminable commute every afternoon. Both I-35 and MoPac are sprinkled with bluebonnets and Indian paintbrushes.

Especially on a beautiful spring day like this - a day that was simply MADE for my red convertible - the drive home is greatly improved by the Good Lord's creation, as nurtured by Lady Bird.

I've always lived in Texas, other than those first few months of life when I was hanging out in Louisville, Kentucky. Sometimes I hear about other states and imagine what it would be like to live there. But I just can't bring myself to seriously consider moving - partly because my parents live here but mostly because it's home.

Don't get me wrong. I know Texas isn't perfect. The attention our State Board of Education calls upon itself is particularly galling to my sensibilities. (Note: that is NOT a political statement - my blog is still politically pure - people of all political persuasions across the country are also appalled by the shenanigans.) It also gets just a wee bit hot in the summer. And...ok...so maybe we are a little obnoxious about how special and great our state is.

But tell the truth. If you had flowers like this, wouldn't you be a little cocky too?

No comments: