Monday, April 15, 2013

If I Were To Let Go....

My life is so much better and so much calmer than most of the other moms I know. I can take a little bit of credit but for the most part, it's just pure luck.

  • First of all, my husband does at least an equal amount of work in the house and outside of the house. In certain areas, I do most of the work (i.e. dr appnts) and in other areas he does most of the work (i.e. keeping up with car stuff). In a bunch of areas, we split it - which sometimes creates confusion but generally works pretty well.
  • My kids aren't compelled to do a bunch of activities and that's perfectly fine with us. We spend a lot more "down" time at home than might be typical for other families.
  • Both sets of grandparents are very involved and my husband's parents now live 15 minutes from our house. When I need someone to help with kid stuff, they are right there.
  • My husband and two kids not only love me and support me but they encourage me to do things that would make me happy. (Zumba classes, writing, going to a movie)
This is all great...but the deal is that I am still completely and totally overwhelmed. I'm forgetting things unless I write them down, but even that doesn't help because I keep losing my lists. You'd think this would be impossible because my lists are the size of a Tolstoy novel and yet...lose them I do.

Philosophically, I wonder if I just have an abnormally low tolerance for "stuff." I know it's unhealthy to compare myself to others but I can't help it. Other moms are certainly keeping up with more than I am, often on their own.

I think it's time to simplify. I've done it before but this time I want to do it without the guilt. If anyone has any suggestions in that regard, I'm all ears.

1 comment:

Mica said...

Glad you're back!