Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Friday Fiction - January 24, 2014

I'm back, guys, and determined to write every day. Here's my contribution to Rochelle Wisoff-Fields' Friday Fiction effort for January 24, 2014. Constructive criticism always welcome.

Copyright - Björn Rudberg

Photo credit: Björn Rudberg

“Where, exactly, does he live?”

To my credit, I refrained from audibly exhaling and reminded myself it was my idea to track down our grandfather in the first place. Camille’s days involved high-end furniture and she spent her evenings sipping wine at Dallas restaurants. I swerved left onto a poorly marked dirt road in the middle of nowhere. “It’s - hold on…” I grabbed at my Diet Coke in a futile attempt to prevent the spill. “Damn. He, well - lives behind someone.”


Behind someone?”


“Yes. Up a hill or something like that.” I finally allowed myself a big sigh. “I don’t know, Camille, it was hard to understand, but it’s definitely on this road, ok?”

If you'd like to read other Friday Fiction stories based on this photo - you can find them here.

11 comments:

Sandra Crook said...

Ah! a navigator after my own style. Nice one.

brudberg said...

Ha.. yes to get to that house you had to get out of the car.

Anonymous said...

Lovely detail in this, we've got some back story, some character, and the main narrative all in such a short space. Wonderful

Silently Heard said...

Good story. I hope the car makes it up that hill.

JennInAustin said...

Thanks, guys - and Bjorn, I LOVE the photo. :)

troy P. said...

This was such a fun read!

I love how you gave these two people so much personality, in such a brief exchange.

janet said...

This sounds like the start of a story I'd enjoy reading. I agree with Troy that you packed a lot into these 100 words.

janet

Anonymous said...

I love this story - and the sisters trying to find the Grandfather that lives somewhere. Good dialect between the two. I would like to hear if they found him. I love the picture - took me a day to think of what to do though. Thanks! Nan

Rochelle Wisoff-Fields said...

Dear Jennine,

Spot on dialogue. Hope they find where they're going. No doubt the meeting with their grandfather could be another story. Well done.

shalom,

Rochelle

Anonymous said...

A great dialogue and contrast between the sister and the grandfather - what they hold important is definitely not going to be the same thing!

Anonymous said...

What, no Like button? OK then no Like!
But still ...
Tay.