Monday, March 2, 2009

The Truth Is Out There

Admittedly, I am an "x-phile" - however, the title of this posting has nothing to do with Mulder's poster (athough it was cool in a goofy sort of way). I'm going through one of those periods of life where I'm seeing "truths." This is happening to me even when I don't want to see the truth. Which is much less fun than one might imagine - even if one is blessed with profound insights during the process.

Because I am such a giving soul and because this is my only remaining therapy (I tend to confuse human therapists, whereas my blog peacefully accepts my ramblings), I decided to share some of the truth that I'm facing.

1. I have major body image issues.
2. There are a lot of articles out there about the risk to girls because of how society (for lack of a better word) "objectifies" women.
3. I know I need to be a better model for my daughter but I'm scared to death because I have no idea how to help her when I don't know how to help myself in this regard.
4. Actually, nevermind - I guess #3 wasn't quite true - I do know how to help myself. I'm just a little overwhelmed at the prospect.

and the ultimate, most profound, and most difficult to accept "truth" that there is for me....

5. I will never be perfect. As a matter of fact, at times I will really screw stuff up.

This is what I get for doing Lent, you know. I committed to daily prayer/meditation every morning and sure enough - BANG! Sudden, painful insights. I feel as if I was hit by some form of philosophical molotav cocktail. You know how they say that you should only ask the question if you're sure you really want the answer?

Good advice, that.

No comments: